Vanderbilt University School of Medicine Reunion
October 11-13, 2018
Registration is now open. Click here to access VUSM Registration.
Classes Celebrating Special Anniversaries
All classes 1967
Thursday, October 11, 2018
- Golf Outing & Breakfast • Breakfast at 8:30 am • Tee time starts at 9:00 am • Richland Country Club . Golf Chairman: William M. Petrie, M.D. (BA’68, M.D.’72); Professor of Clinical Psychiatry, Vanderbilt University Medical Center. (Registration required)
- Interactive Learning Session • 12:30 pm-4:30 pm • University Club, Cumberland Room • 4 CME Credits*
Presented by Dr. William Cooper (M.D. '91, MPH '96) , Cornelius Vanderbilt Professor of Pediatrics; Vice Chair for Faculty Affairs, Department of Pediatrics; Professor of Health Policy
"Pursuing Reliability: Addressing Behaviors that Undermine a Culture of Safety". To register now, please visit: https://www.gevme.com/vusmsession
*CME Credit: Vanderbilt University Medical Center is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians. Vanderbilt University Medical Center designates this live activity for a maximum of 4 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- Welcome Dinner and Vanderbilt University Medical Alumni Association (VMAA) Awards Program • 5:30 pm - Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum (registration required)
Honoring VMAA Distinguished Alumni Award Winners, Kathryn M. Edwards, M.D., FAC ’80-Present and David M. Gershenson, M.D. ‘71 as well as VMAA Distinguished Service Award Winner, Kitty D. Murfree
Friday, October 12, 2018
- Registration Packets Pick- Up • 6:30 am–2:30 pm • Light Hall North Lobby
- VMAA hosted Breakfast • 6:30 am-8:30 am • Light Hall Student Lounge
- Specialty Grand Rounds and Conference
More information visit the CME Offerings page
- Plenary Session I • 8–11:15 a.m. • Light Hall 208
The President’s Welcome
Dr. Thomas W. Nygaard, (BS ’74, M.D.’78),Vanderbilt Medical Alumni Association Board President
Update: Vanderbilt University School of Medicine and Medical Center
Dr. Jeffrey R. Balser, (M.D., Ph.D. '90) President and CEO, Vanderbilt University Medical Center and Dean of the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
Keynote Address presented by Dr. Kathryn M. Edwards, (FAC ’80-Present)
, 2018 VMAA Distinguished Alumna
Sarah H. Sell and Cornelius Vanderbilt Chair in Pediatrics, Professor of Pediatrics, Vanderbilt University Medical Center. Topic: “An Update on Immunizations: Successes and Challenges.”
Keynote Address presented by Dr. David M. Gershenson, (M.D.’71), 2018 VMAA Distinguished Alumnus; Professor, Department of Gynecologic Oncology and Reproductive Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX. Topic: “Life Lessons from a Vanderbilt School of Medicine Education and Beyond.”
- Quinq Inductions, Classes of 1968 and 1969 • 11:15 a.m.–12:15 p.m. • Light Hall 208
Join us as we honor new Vanderbilt Quinq Medical Society inductees and their spouses.
Photographs of the new Quinq Classes will be taken immediately following the ceremony.
- Quinq Medical Society Luncheon • 12:15–1:30 p.m. • Langford Lobby
For Classes of 1969 and earlier and their families (registration required)
- All-Alumni and Family Luncheon • 12–1:30 p.m. • Light Hall Student Lounge
Graduates, Classes of 1970–present. $15/adult, $8/children 6-12, Free/children 5 and under (registration required).
- Afternoon Activities
Anatomy Lab Tour • Meet in Light Hall, North Lobby. Tour group departs at 2 p.m.
Pre-Med Conversation • Light Hall Student Lounge. Come talk with Jennifer Steffen Kimble, Director of Admissions for VUSM, to hear about what makes candidates competitive for medical school.
Interactive Learning Session • Light Hall 214. "Taming the Overwhelm: How to Be More Productive with Less Stress in Your Life as a Physician" presented by Dr. Ryan Bayley (M.D. '04), national speaker, physician coach, and healthcare consultant. For more information, please click here
- Class Parties (please see each class page for class party location, registration is required).
Saturday, October 13, 2018
- Registration Packets Pick-up • 8–11 a.m. • Light Hall North Lobby
- VMAA Breakfast • 8-9 am • Eskind Biomedical Library, Room 215
- Plenary Session II: Student Initiative • 2 CME Credit* • 9–11 a.m. • Eskind Biomedical Library, Room 238
The Next Generation: Research | Clinical Care | Education
Moderator: Joey Barnett, Ph.D., Vice Chair, Professor of Pharmacology, Medicine, Pediatrics, and Pathology, Microbiology & Immunology, Director of the Office of Medical Student Research, Assistant Dean of Physician-Researcher Training, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
• Justin Banerdt, MD/MPH Candidate, (Class of 2020) "Delirium Prevalence and Outcomes Among Patients Presenting to a Resource-Restricted Hospital in Lusaka, Zambia"
• Thomas Klink, MD/MPH Candidate, (Class of 2019) "Experiences from an MPH Practicum: Establishing Monitoring and Evaluation Protocols for a Mobile Clinic in Quetzaltenango, Guatemala."
• Nicholas Kuhl, MD Candidate, (Class of 2019) "The Economic Impact and Resource Utilization of Surgical Intervention in Obstructive Sleep Apnea."
• Katherine Sumarriva, MD Candidate (Class of 2019) "Arginine Metabolism is Dysregulated in Diabetic Retinopathy."
*These sessions have been approved for CME credit.
- Vanderbilt Homecoming Tailgate
Two Hours before Football Game Kickoff: VU Tailgate on Recreation Field 3 (located in front of the Vanderbilt Recreation and Wellness Center on children's Way). Tailgate time will be available approximately 10 days before game day.
- Homecoming Football Game VU vs. University of Florida
Come cheer the ’Dores on to victory! A limited number of game tickets are available at $64 each (inclusive of all processing fees) and will be sold on a first-come, first-served basis.
To order, visit Ticketmaster: https://bit.ly/2O1UEm7 and enter the promo code Reunion2018 for early purchase access. To purchase tickets over the phone, please call the Athletic Ticket Office at (615) 322-GOLD (4653).
Alumni have two delivery options for tickets purchased – mail or Ticket Fast (print at home).
Single-game SEC tickets go on sale to the general public September 1.*Game time is not determined by Vanderbilt. Kickoff may be as early as 11am and as late as 7pm, the time will be announced approximately 10 days before kickoff. Check http://vucommodores.com closer to game day for kickoff time.
This schedule is susceptible to change, please check this website or contact us for more information.
Registration is now open. Click here to access VUSM Registration.